Thin Film Deposition
PVI designs and manufactures leading-edge thin film deposition systems for the solar, aerospace and high purity materials processing industries. Our products include batch, load-lock, and in-line processing systems.
Thin Film Deposition Equipment
- RF/DC/AC Sputtering Systems
- E-Beam/BAE/Ion Beam Deposition Systems
- Continuous Substrate/Web Coating Systems
Optical Coating Systems
- Flat Panel Displays
- Laser Optics
- Electro-Optical Devices
- Solar Cells
- Custom Applications
Hard Coating Systems
- Cutting tools
- Corrosion Protection
- High Energy Ion Implantation
- Custom applications
Multi-Source Electron Beam Evaporation System
The Multi-Source Electron Beam Evaporation System is designed as a versatile, high production coating system with three independent deposition zones that allow the system to coat multiple sizes and shapes of substrates in a sequential fashion. Closed-loop control of film thickness in each deposition zone is provided by a quartz crystal monitoring system. A high-capacity cryogenic pump provides excellent high vacuum pumping performance.
Ion Plating System
The BAE ion plating system is designed to be reliable, easy to use and provide high-performance coatings for a wide variety of applications. Closed-loop film thickness control is provided by a quartz crystal monitoring system. PVI’s proprietary, DC bias/electron activation (BAE) method of ion-assisted deposition produces dense and adherent films. The substrates are immersed in the plasma produced by the BAE process, therefore uniform activation of the entire surface area can be accomplished in much less time than with conventional, directed ion beam sources.
Reliable and easy to use, PVI’s innovative cassette-to-cassette sputtering system provides the ability to deposit multiple films on both sides of a substrate without breaking vacuum in the process chamber. Up to seven workstations allow the system to be equipped with a variety of sources. The sputtering sources are externally mounted on the top plate assembly. Exchange of an eroded target can take place in only 5 – 10 minutes. A high capacity cryogenic pump provides excellent high vacuum pumping performance in the process chamber. The load lock assembly is pumped with a separate high capacity cryogenic pump in order to provide rapid pump down to a high vacuum, prior to transferring the substrates to the process chamber.
Conformal Magnetron Sputtering System
- Multi-axis, Conformal Magnetron Sputtering (CMS) system for large size, complex geometry substrates
- CMS robotic coating system was originally developed by PVI to coat jet aircraft canopies.
- New process control technologies, including high-performance plasma power supplies, sensors and motion control components allow the CMS to deposit high-quality coatings on a wide range of substrates.
- Multiple conformal magnetron sputtering sources combined with multi-axis positioning capabilities allow the CMS to coat very large complex shaped substrates.