- Applications are primarily for deposition of materials on the ID of long tubes
- Currently, applications include coating accelerator beam tubes with thin films including crystalline Cu, Nb, Au, a-C films and other materials.
- Reduces wall resistivity, improves luminosity in supercolliders and can also be used to improve the performance of accelerators in medical and other industries by allowing them to operate at higher power levels.
- This technology can offer a significant economic/commercial benefit to industrial accelerators.
- Ion assisted deposition (IAD) results in a superior quality coating, which retains high conductivity at cryogenic temperatures.